[lug] Back to original - trouble with e-mail posting

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Mon May 22 09:26:43 MDT 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000, arnie wrote:

> John-David Childs wrote:
> >
> >  Hrrm....my versions of Netscape send the complete fully-qualified domain
> >  name in the Sender: line (i.e. jdc at myhost.mydomain.com).  I'm using the
> >  Linux 4.72 Communicator under FreeBSD.  Is it possible that arnie's
> >  machine doesn't have a fully qualified hostname?
>
> Yes, I'd say that's the case. When I set up Linux, I entered a hostname of
> frenomulax.frenomulax.net, as a lark, but this is not a real registered domain
> name. When I sent a test message using mailx, the 'From:' header shows:
> arnie at frenomulax.frenomulax.net
>
> BTW, I am able to post to the Caldera Linux list from Netscape with no trouble,
> though there are several other lists, including this one, which do not accept
> the posts.

The likely cause for postings to be accepted by one list and not another
is that the list administrator has two options:

   1. let anyone in the world post to the list

   2. only let subscribers post.

Choosing #1 eliminates the hassle of dealing with malformed e-mail
headers, but has obvious consequences.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)