[lug] telnet problems

Aaron Crane aaron.crane at pobox.com
Wed May 24 20:26:07 MDT 2000

"Andrew Reberry" <Andrew.Reberry at colorado.edu> writes:
> After installing a new distro (RedHat 6.2) I have found that I am unable
> to telnet into it.  I noticed that 'inetd' was not installed so I then
> installed it. ('rpm -i inetd-0.16-4.i386.rpm') However, after installing
> 'inetd' I am still having the same problem.  When I try to telnet into the
> machine I get the error:
>
> 'Connection closed by foreign host'
>
> This error comes up when I try to telnet in from the local network
> (192.168.2.*) or from localhost itself (127.0.0.1).

This error sounds like there's no daemon except inetd listening on the
telnet port.  The release notes for Red Hat 6.2 say that several network
services (including telnet) have, as of 6.2, been split up into separate
client and server packages.  For example, telnet consists of packages named
both "telnet" and "telnet-server".  The workstation-class installations
don't include any of these servers; could this be the problem?

--
Aaron Crane   <aaron.crane at pobox.com>   <URL:http://pobox.com/~aaronc/>