[lug] C++ name mangling

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Thu May 25 21:03:18 MDT 2000

Tom> Also, there is going to be a C++ ABI change "someday".  The new
Tom> ABI is being implemented in g++ right now.  You can see part of
Tom> it, I think (I'm not 100% sure of the status) if you use
Tom> `-fsquangle'.

If I recall correctly (I'm by no means a guru, this is just what I've
picked up reading the list and taking a glance through the info docs),
"squangle" is just a compressed form of the g++ version 1 mangling;
I believe the new ABI is actually distinct from this.

Tom> (I think the new ABI is slated to come with gcc 3.0, but you'd
Tom> have to check to make sure.  I only really pay attention to the
Tom> changes that affect me.)

This agrees with what I've read on the GCC general (nee EGCS) list.

Tom> Finally, if you want to port to non-Linux platforms, you have to
Tom> be aware that different C++ compilers have different mangling
Tom> schemes.

...although the new ABI is supposed to be reasonably cross-platform.

Sorry for a post full of unsubstantiated commentary; if we need more
answers, perhaps a post to the gcc list is in order (then a prompt
addition to the faq-o-matic...

HTH,
t.