[lug] httpd.conf and RH6.2

Anders Knudsen aknudsen.96 at alum.mines.edu
Fri Jun 2 06:49:57 MDT 2000

Quick intro: I'm new to Linux as of almost 1 year ago, but am getting up to
speed quite nicely. Have attended BLUG meetings since Jan now. Not a linux
newbie, but not a guru either.

Q:
I just updated my redhat to 6.2, which also updated apache to 1.3.12 (so
all config stuff is contained in httpd.conf.) After the update, the server
would not display any files. I tracked it down to the entry:
<Files ~>
AllowOverride AuthConfig FileInfo Indexes Limit Options
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</Files>
I take this to mean "deny all files"...;-)

If I change the start of it to:
<Files />
it works, and Apache allows the display of web pages, etc.

Now I'm a bit dubious about this change since I don't fully understand the
constraint.
Is there anyone that can explain this and give me a bit o guidance??

Thanks,
-Anders Knudsen.