[lug] Seeking Advice: Pentium III Privacy Issues

B O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Mon Jun 5 06:40:34 MDT 2000

Hello,

(This message is posted to both CLUE and LUG.)

I am considering buying a Pentium III chipped-computer, but am worried
about issues of privacy with its serial numbering scheme (PSN).  I must
run NT as well as Linux, and use Netscape under either OS almost
exclusively as my browser/e-mail program.

I've read the claims that the PSN can be obtained even if it is turned
off by the user

        http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-339803.html?tag=

and the counter-claims from Intel

        http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/psqa.htm

that it cannot.

It would appear that the newer computers allow the user to turn off the
PSN in the BIOS, but there apparently is still some concern (at least
theoretical) that this may not be an adequate protection, to the point
that some users swear that they will never, never buy a PIII chip-based
system.

Thus this post this to seek comments from more knowledgeable users: is
the PSN such a privacy threat that I should wait for the next generation

of chips, or perhaps buy a used system that uses the PII (which would
have to be a desktop, as apparently the mobile chip had a numbering
scheme back to the PII 333 speed systems).

Please help, I'm SO CONFUSED.

B. O'Fallon
bof at americanisp.net