[lug] Kernel compile error

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jun 5 21:04:13 MDT 2000

Justin wrote:

> I'm getting this error when trying to compile a 2.2.15 kernel on Redhat 6.1 w/
> egcs-2.91.66. I have recently compiled the same kernel on almost an identical
> box. Any ideas?
>
> cc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/split-include
> scripts/split-include.c
> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from scripts/split-include.c:26:
> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1
>
> Justin

The near-last line with linux/errno.h indicates that a file is trying to
get to a header in the kernel source.

/usr/include/linux/ should be a sym link to
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/
/usr/src/linux/ should be a sym link to /usr/src/linux-2.2.15/ [change
version if needed]

If for some reason you have this set for root-only permission, and you
are not running as root (not likely if you are kernel compiling), it
would refuse you. Most of the time the sym link is just missing. Either
the sym link in /usr/include/ is missing, or the path /usr/src/linux/
doesn't exist. Try this:
cd /usr/src/linux/

If you didn't make it, then you likely have /usr/src/linux-2.2.15/, and
need to sym link linux-2.2.15 to linux.

If you did make it there:
cd include/linux

If you didn't make it there, you're missing source. If you did make it,
likely you can't:
cd /usr/include/linux/

If that wasn't possible, you need a sym link from /usr/include/, to
/usr/src/linux/include/linux

If you had another kernel version, and removed it while adding a new
one, the sym links would be either wrong or missing.