[lug] Network design

Ken Weinert kenw at ihs.com
Tue Jun 6 09:22:37 MDT 2000

I'm working with some people that are trying to set up some network
stuff - any pointers on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the situations:

1) Designing a network for gaming (ie streaming tech, lots of bandwidth
usage) where ISPs are providing pipes from their dialup platforms to us
and then we have racks of servers which we need to organise with
switches and routers to handle this.

2) Secondly we also need a way to authenticate traffic so only users in
an LDAP database can access the network -  ie they connect through their
ISP and have full access but to get onto our network they have to pass
through another layer of authentication.

3)  So the ideal scenario is we have multiple lines coming in from ISPs
peering with us (T1s and above) and our servers in racks. How should we
arrange all the stuff in between for a rather bandwidth intensive
application.

--
Ken Weinert   kenw at ihs.com 303-858-6956 (V) 978-336-5652 (F)
PGP: DF 2B 6C 72 33 BE 06 D1  9D C4 ED 32 36 97 C0 6E