[lug] SAMBA

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Tue Jun 6 15:53:59 MDT 2000

Kyle Moore wrote:

> I have a machine that sits on our internal network that needs to share
> one directory with one Windows machine. Is it better to just have the
> PDC NT server do the login validation? I thought this might be easier
> than doing it on the Linux box (I have had problems with the encrypted
> passwords on Windows in the past). This user already has an account on
> the NT server but not on the Linux box.

Yes these should be your most hassle free options, assuming that the
Win95 & NT boxes are using encrypted password:

    security = server
    password server = PDC BDC etc

If the PDC times out the BDC will be tried, etc.

You should still set up an account for the user on your Linux box so
that Samba has a username for I/O operations.  A disabled account
without a home directory is fine.  I think samba may default to using
the guest (typically nobody) account if you do not set up the user
account.

Lynn Danielson