[lug] Cisco 675 router

Brian Ketelsen briank at becos.org
Wed Jun 7 12:37:29 MDT 2000

What you want is reverse port mapping in the Cisco's NAT.

enable the router then type:
set nat entry add inside_ip port protocol
ex:

set nat entry add 10.0.0.10 80 tcp

would get you web access into the machine that has the 10.0.0.10 private address.

Cisco's NAT also allows you to restrict which public IP address the incoming request comes from :

set nat entry add 10.0.0.10 80 tcp 199.199.253.199 10000

This would make all requests to the 199.199.253.199:10000 address go to your private 10.0.0.10 machine on port 80.  This assumes that your assigned public IP address is 199.199.253.199.  When you're using dynamic IP's this isn't the best way to go because you have to remap your NAT entries every time your router reboots.

Cisco's web site has great documentation on these features downloadable in PDF form or browsable on the web.  Search on their site for "CBOS" which is Cisco Broadband Operating System.

To solve your other problem,  you could write a shell script that telnets into your Cisco 675 and then looks for the public ip address of your machine.  After receiving this address you could email it or post it to a web page.  I'm not a shell scripting expert, but it should look something like this:

telnet into cisco
send command to get IP address of public side (show interface wan0 might do this)
cut out this IP address
end telnet session
post IP to a HTML file or mail

I solve this problem by emailing myself every morning if I'm going to need my IP address then looking at the headers of the email.  If someone does end up writing this shell script, I'd love to see it.

Hope that was useful.

Brian Ketelsen
http://www.coloradogeeks.com