[lug] Cisco 675 router

Brian Ketelsen briank at becos.org
Wed Jun 7 15:39:38 MDT 2000

The safest way to configure the DSL is to turn off all reverse NAT
translation, then disable telnet access into the router.  Also, it's
EXTREMELY important to turn off the stupid web management interface on the
675 as well.  That way you can only manage the router from the serial
connection and you have no incoming ports mapped to your network.  Of
course, this is unreasonable if you want to telnet into your machines or run
a web server.   Personally, I have the router web and telnet turned off but
I have 2 UDP ports reverse NAT translated so I can run an UnrealTournament
server.  It's relatively safe because the ports are high enough not to get
scanned frequently by unfriendly people and they're not common ports.

Brian