[lug] redirecting stderr with 2>

Gary Hodges hodges at srrb.noaa.gov
Wed Jun 7 22:01:31 MDT 2000

I'm still fighting this signal 11 problem with my computer.  I think it's
either RAM or the processor.  Anyway, I've written a script that compiles
kernels over and over, with stderr being redirected to a file using 2>>
.  The file gets warnings, but after 100 compiles there are no signal 11
errors.  I don't think the signal 11 lines (when they happen) include the
word "warning."  So the short question is, will 2>> capture things like
"error" and "fatal?"  I hope it does, then I will have good confidence
that the processor and one of my memory sticks are OK.

Gary