[lug] High Speed Access

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Jun 8 09:27:16 MDT 2000

Brian Ketelsen wrote:

> After all the DSL discussion yesterday, AT&T called me and said we're
> getting Cable Internet in our neighborhood.  Does anyone have @home that
> cares to share the ups and downs with me?  I have DSL from US West right now
> and although I'm paying for 256k access, I generally get 640 down and 256
> up.  The Cisco 675 is perfect for a multi computer network as it does NAT
> for me.
>
> What can I expect if I move to cable?

My parents in Lakewood have had AT&T (formerly @Home) for about 17 months.  It
works pretty well _most_ of the time, and we've seen peak download speeds of
250 KBps (yes, that's BYTES).  We can't do anything about the occasional
connectivity outages, but I've set up their Linux box (the usual IP
masquerader) to relay email from their Windows computers, so we don't have to
worry about AT&T's occasional SMTP server problems.

The biggest limitation on that setup is the ever-popular upload speed limit of
128 Kbps (bits), but that doesn't affect them too much, since the bulk of their
traffic is headed inward.

I just wish it was available in MY area ...

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot