[lug] SMTP-MAIL: died on signal 11

Gary Hodges hodges at srrb.noaa.gov
Thu Jun 8 16:11:41 MDT 2000

Brief background...  I've been getting signal 11 errors during kernel
compiles and perl module installations from time-to-time every since I got
this new computer.  I've thought I fixed it a few times already, but it
has started again.  I have two Corsair 128 MB CAS2 sticks of RAM, and I'm
now doing multiple kernel compiles with each one.  I just finished 100
consecutive compiles without a signal 11 error, and I'm now in the process
of doing 100 with the other stick of RAM.  That said, I'd like to run a
couple of strange things by the group...

1.  During the last batch of kernel compiles when I would try to send
email I would get the following error:

 [Mail not sent. Sending error: 451 SMTP-MAIL: died on signal 11]

I could get the mail to send if tried a few times.  So far I'm not getting
this error during the second batch of kernel compiles.

2.  I have no idea if this is related, but while I was su'd as root the
other day, I untarred the newest kernel source, and it assigned ownership
of the linux directory, and everything below, to another user on my
machine.  I had su'd in an xterm that was owned by me.  The other user
wasn't logged in at the time.  I repeated this two or three times.

The guts of this machine are:

Tyan S1598
AMD K6-III 450

I'm thinking the processor and at least one of the sticks of RAM are flaky.

Gary