[lug] Splitting jobs among computers

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jun 8 23:01:03 MDT 2000

KELLEY SCOTT T wrote:

> Dear Bluggers,
>
> I have some computationally intensive jobs I would like to split among a
> bunch of machines I have access to. However, the software I want to use
> isn't loaded on all those machines. What I really want to do is run the
> program on my machine but use the processors on other machines I have
> access to without loading the software on those machines. I'm not even
> sure this is possible, but I thought this list would be the place inquire.
>
> Thanks for any help you can send my way. -Scott

> Scott T. Kelley, Ph.D.                  E-mail: Scott.Kelley at Colorado.edu
> Dept. MCD Biology                       Phone : 303-735-1808
> Campus Box 347                          Fax   : 303-492-7744
> University of Colorado
> Boulder, CO  80309-0347
> U.S.A.

By definition, you can't use the cpu on another machine without at least
some small piece of software there. You could possibly send threads off
to the other machine to do minor tasks that occur frequently and require
a significant processing time to make the network delays worthwhile.
What kind of software is, open source, or proprietary? What is the
nature of it? Perhaps a "lightweight" but useful portion could be put
there...or maybe some portion can be handled by existing linux
utilities, ones that could be used on the remote machine instead of
locally.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com