[lug] ppp dial in

Hobbs: Nobuki Matsui nobuki at psych.colorado.edu
Fri Jun 9 09:42:25 MDT 2000

Hi all,
	I am having a hard time setting up a PPP server at my work.  What
we are trying to do is to have two computers, which are not hooked up with
the network.  We would like to make those computers
to have  (bidirectional) both call in and call out capabilities.  Once we
figured out how to set up one up, we will clone it.  I figured out how to
call into the PPP servers.
	I followed the steps written in the PPP server set up tips on the redhat
site.  I decided not to put a pppd entry for the /etc/passwd file, as
suggested in the tips.  We are using the RedHat 6.2 on the pentium
machines.   I am using mgetty and I can call in (asnync) to the machine,
which I am trying to set up as a call in demand server
by using the minicom now.  The tips talk about making a connection first
and have the users type in ppp.  But, I do not quite understand that.  I
would call in, say using the kppp, and I can see the pppd is up from the
/var/log/messages file (until the pppd process dies).  I assigned IP
address in the /etc/ppp/options.ttyS2 file as 192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2.
	Now I get a strange error message, saying "invalid netmask
crsctrs".  I tried to find any entries with this invalid netmask, but I
was not able to.  Besides, a hardware control for the netmask is really
strange.
	Could anyone kindly help us?  Any suggestions would be deeply
appreciated.
best,

						Nobuki Matsui