[lug] IDSL

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Fri Jun 9 10:41:08 MDT 2000

These prices are kind of high.  144K IDSL is $95/month here.

Drop me a note with all your phone numbers if you are interested and I can
get your line tested for free.

Chris
Peak to Peak Internet

From: Michael Deck <deckm at cleansoft.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:01:34 -0600
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Re: [lug] IDSL

At 09:41 AM 6/9/00 -0600, you wrote:

Check out dslreports.com  I ended up going with covad and concentric for
my IDSL.  For $125/mo I get 144K/144K dedicated.  For an additional $7/mo
I get 32 Static IP Addresses.  The "router" is an external box, with a
4port ethernet hub built into the back and does IP packet filtering.

Robert

Wow. That's a really useful service. Thanks. But, why did you pick
Concentric. I mean, the reviewers on dslreports absolutely TRASHED them.

Thus spake Michael Deck (deckm at cleansoft.com):

> I'm looking for recommendations for a Linux-friendly (or at least not
Linux-unfriendly) IDSL provider.

> My current ISP, Front Range Internet, has partnered with New Edge but they
don't offer service yet to my location.

> US Wurst won't qualify me for their service and in any case I am fed up with
US Wurst and would prefer (almost) anyone else.

> If possible, I'd prefer to be working with a local company as my ISP rather
than a big national one.

> I got a mailing from Hostpro (a Micron company) who are partnering with Covad.
Covad _will_ qualify me. With Hostpro I can get everything I need
(webhosting 100MB including CGI and Java Servlets, email boxes, 1 static IP)
for $139/mo. (IDSL is 144K symmetric DSL over ISDN). They'll setup and
install, and provide the Flowpoint 144 hardware for free with a one-year
commitment.

> (This compares pretty favorably with the $70 telco + $150 ISP + $25 webhost
I'm paying per month for _half_ an ISDN connection, to connect up with Ryan
Kirkpatrick's High-Speed rural thread. That's my situation too, BTW)

> My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that I can tell the Flowpoint
not to route or masquerade, give the one static IP address to my Linux
firewalling/proxy/masquerading router, and I'm in business. Hostpro seemed
to think that would work but also seemed a little uncertain.

> TIA,
>     Mike
>
> Michael Deck
> Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.

:wq!
Robert L. Harris               |  Micros~1 :
Senior System Engineer         |    For when quality, reliability
 at RnD Consulting            |      and security just aren't
                              \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER:
FYI: