[lug] Boulder Linux Users Group Meeting Summary, June 8, 2000

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Jun 9 17:18:36 MDT 2000

            Boulder Linux User's Group Meeting Summary

Attendance: approximately 60

Synopsis:

This months speaker was Elizabeth Coolbaugh <cool at eklektix.com>, the
co-founder of LWN.net, also known as the "Linux Weekly News"
<http://lwn.net/>, an on-line magazine that has been reporting on the
Linux Community since January, 1998.  Her presentation was "A Tour of
Linux Distributions".

She discussed the 139 distributions that she is aware of, the reasons for
there being so many, the advantages and disadvantages of such a large
choice, and how to choose between them.  If you'd like to see a list of
distributions, check out <http://lwn.net/current/dists.phtml>.  Also, an
older version of the slide show can also be seen at
<http://www.eklektix.com/talks/>.  Some of the slides shown last
night were updated since these were posted.  In August, she will be giving
a similar presentation at the LinuxWold show in San Jose.

The rest of the meeting consisted of our usual question and answer period
and drawing.  We also had a large number of Linux books contributed by
O'reilly, IDG, and Softpro that we gave away.

Next Months Meeting is July 13th.  Jason Cherveny from XIOtech will be
talking about Storage Area Networks.