[lug] Perl FDF Toolkit

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Tue Jun 13 14:59:43 MDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 12:35:27PM -0600, Kyle Moore wrote:
> Anyone want to earn a beer and impress me with how smart you are?

Hmm, i killed two harddisks by fiddling with kernel code today,
so i don't really feel smart right now ...

> I tried yesterday to get Adobe's FDF Toolkit for Perl to run on linux.
> This allows you to create pdf files that can be filled out, sent back to
> the perl script and you can generate new pdf or fdf files. I was able to
> get past a couple of problems but still run into problems with it and
> can't get it to load the module. The toolkit comes in two files. There
> is a FDF.pm and a FDF.so. I really need to get this working but think
> I'm stuck.

I assume you didn't get the source code? Well, i usually run
  'strace /usr/bin/perl progam.here > trace.log 2>&1 '
and then
  'grep open trace.log | less'
This should show you where the module is looking for
the shared library (you might also need to grep for
mmap ..). If your program forks you might need to add
some switches to the call to 'strace' to get all of the
childrens output as well (-ff -o trace.log, if i recall right).
Then put the librtaries where the module looks for them ...
(running 'updatedb' just before that might help finding
the libs ;-)

> I started to get stuck here:
> ************BEGIN ERROR********************
> Can't load '/root/perl5/lib/i386-linux/auto/Acrobat/FDF/FDF.so' for
> module Acrobat::FDF: libm.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm
> line 169.
>
>  at /root/perl5/lib/Acrobat/FDF.pm line 579
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./kjm.pl line 3.
> ************END ERROR***********************
>
> After making a link "ln -s /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libm.so.5
> /lib/libm.so.5" I was able to at least get a new message:
> ************BEGIN ERROR*********************
> Can't load '/root/perl5/lib/i386-linux/auto/Acrobat/FDF/FDF.so' for
> module Acrobat::FDF: /root/perl5/lib/i386-linux/auto/Acrobat/FDF/FDF.so:
> undefined symbol: Perl_markstack_ptr at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 169.
>
>  at /root/perl5/lib/Acrobat/FDF.pm line 579
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./kjm.pl line 3.
>
> I think the problem is libraries aren't where the FDF.so expects them to
> be. The problem is that this toolkit for Perl is supplied "as
> is"...there is no support for it right now.
>
> Anyone???

hope this helps. :wq
e56
[
grrrr where's the escape on this darn terminal?