[lug] [No Subject]

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Jun 13 17:15:56 MDT 2000

David Hahn wrote:

> hey folks,
>
> If at work here, we want to transition from a NT/Novell setup to having all run from a linux fileserver with windows workstations,
> can software that needs a DOS path be used?

Yes, if you map the network path as a lettered drive.

> can files be transferred by Samba from NT or Novell to be hosted on the Linux fileserver?

Yes, in at least two different ways. First, you can use a Windows computer to
transfer entire directory trees as long as they see both OSes.

Second, you can do the transfer via the Linux box - enable IPX networking on it
(check out the IPX Howto), mount the Netware server (ncpmount), and copy
directly to the desired location.  You should be able to do the same thing with
NT using smbmount (see the SMB Howto).

> looking for suggestions/resources. have been learning linux for a couple months. thanks much.

Feel free to email me if you need detailed instructions.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot