[lug] Win 2 Linux Modem/net pool

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Jun 15 12:57:40 MDT 2000

Here is what you need to do:

1)	Setup a network and make the Linux machine the default gateway. Use a
reserved Address block like 192.168.1.x
2)	Set up a PPP connection using LinuxConf. Test it and make sure it works.
3)	Set the PPP Interface to Activate On Bootup
4)	Add the following PPP Options using LinuxConf: demand idle 600
	These two options enable demand dialling with a 10 minute idle timeout.
5)	Enable IP Masquerading.

A simple script to do this is:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/insmod ip_masq_cuseeme
/sbin/insmod ip_masq_irc
/sbin/insmod ip_masq_raudio
/sbin/insmod ip_masq_vdolive
/sbin/insmod ip_masq_ftp
#/sbin/insmod ip_masq_quake
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60
#
#	Set the default forwarding policy.
#
ipchains -P forward DENY
#
# Disallow AOL Instant Messenger
#
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 205.188.0.0/16 -j REJECT
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 198.81.24.0/24 -j REJECT
#
# Enable forwarding for everything else.
#
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ

You do not need DIALD or any other piece of software. RedHat and PPP will
automatically do this by setting the PPP options. I have a network of 10
machines running with this configuration.

Note that this is a minimal script with virtually no firewalling for the
linux machine. You should carefully secure the machines, and apply all
relevant patches. You may also want to get a book (or two) on Firewalling.
Decent ones would be the O'Reilly firewall book (yellow, I forget the
animal) and the Linux Firewalls book from New Riders Press. If you do not
apply the patches, and crank down the security, you will be hacked. Dead
certainty, 100%.

Good Luck.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.