[lug] Partitioning and modem problems

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Sat Jun 17 23:15:02 MDT 2000

Is this why I love an external modem? Yeah, I think it is at least part
of it. Externals are just so nice and easy...besides the added benefit
of being able to control the volume and being able to turn it off if I
want to. I think the best advice you can give someone new to Linux is:
find the best supported hardware in each class and then build your
computer with those components. I say leave those touchy components (may
or may not be the case here) to after you have a great Linux system and
get some experience.

Mike McCallister wrote:

> A little more info that may well point in a good direction. I
> double-checked the COM port that Windoze says the modem is using. Device
> Manager reports the modem is on COM5. So I booted back to Linux and tried
> to run setserial again (BTW, it's truly wonderful that it remembers my last
> command even after logging out!!), changing ttyS2 to ttyS4 to reflect the
> "new" port. Setserial reported there was no such port (as ttyS4/COM5?).

-kyle