[lug] Partitioning and modem problems

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jun 19 19:17:27 MDT 2000

Mike McCallister wrote:

> No luck. The options file was actually empty, so the lock wasn't it. I also
> tried to confirm the IRQ per D. Stimits' suggestion.  Both Windows and
> proc/interrupts report that the modem is on IRQ 9 (FWIW proc/interrupts
> identified 9 as a USB-UHCI, with a 0 in the middle column). Lspci -v
> reported the following:
>
> US Robotics: Unknown device 1008 (rev 01) (Prog-if 02)
> Subsystem: Unknown device 12b9:baba
> Flags: Medium devsel, IRQ9
> I/O Ports at dfe0.
>
> I couldn't locate rc.local on my system, but I ran D's command manually
> from the shell, then used KPPD to query the modem again--still "busy."

You'll need to set both the irq and base address, then refer to the tty
used in the setserial. Next, if you require a module, then the module
must be loaded as well. If you do use modules, it may not be loading.
Check out depmod -a, and lsmod. If you know you need a particular
module, you can manually do "insmod module". Check /var/log/messages
during this time to see messages, e.g., tail -f -n30 /var/log/messages.

The following sets to your port and irq. Note that assigning ttyS2 was a
choice, this reconfigures ttyS2 to become irq and base address per your
pci info:
/bin/setserial -v /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0xdfe0 irq 9 spd_normal
skip_test

If your ttyS2 is already occupied, this won't work, choose another ttyS.