[lug] changing env values.

PC Drew drewpc at colorado.edu
Wed Jun 21 09:34:06 MDT 2000

Thus spake Nause on Tuesday, June 20, 2000, 3:21:43 PM:

N> I'm trying to add a path to my man pages in my env values but can't get it
N> to stick on a reboot. Nor does the path work.

N> I am using the command:

N> export MANPATH=/usr/local/man

First of all, it depends on what shell your using.  If your using
/bin/sh then the command should look like this:

set MANPATH=/usr/local/man;
export MANPATH;

if you're using csh or tcsh, it would look something like this:

setenv MANPATH /usr/local/man

N> I verified that the dir and some files are there. Does the FS standard
N> state where the man pages should be?? I think I played around too much
N> trying to do my own reorganization.

N> Could someone explain the sequence of events when say:

N> man ls

N> is entered? I assume a child looks for the man command in the binaries
N> and that tells it to look at the MANPATH variable??

the shell looks for the program "man" in your PATH environment
variable.  If/when it finds it, man then uses your MANPATH environment
variable to look for "ls".  It starts from the left and goes to the
right, so the first entry in your MANPATH is searched first.  It
searches for files like: ls.1, ls.2, ls.5, etc.

N> And last but not least does anyone see what I'm doing wrong (back to the
N> original problem of the "no-stick" export command?? )

You have to put it in your .*rc file.  If you're using csh is the
.cshrc file, tcsh uses .tcshrc, bash uses .bashrc, etc.  You put the
command as you would type it into the prompt.  This way, every time
you login, that .*rc file gets run and you get the same environment.

Attached is my .tcshrc file for your reading pleasure.