[lug] Linux Fest 2000 Report, Day 2 (fwd)

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Jun 23 10:18:00 MDT 2000

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, ljp wrote:

> hmmm, I was under the impression that FULLY automatic ( pull the trigger and
> hold for firing many rounds- semi-> pull trigger for each round.) weapons
> were illegal, unless you happen to be using them in conjunction with a
> military purpose.

No, you can get a federal firearms permit to own these.  It isn't uncommon
for gun ranges to obtain such permits for recreational machine gunning.

> These were fired at this Linux Fest???

I wasn't there, but they weren't fired "at" the fest, but rather at a gun
range or suitable location in conjuction with it.

> If so, perhaps thats why RD bailed. Since when do assault weapons have
> anything to do with Linux?

Hmmm ... you haven't been too deeply embedded in the Linux culture have
you?  I take it you don't know about Eric Raymond
<http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/> and his "Geeks with Guns"
<http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/geeks-with-guns/index.html>.

It would be extremely unlikely that this has anything to do with the
booths being dismantled.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)