[lug] Linux Fest 2000 Report, Day 2 (fwd)

Bruce Raup braup at kryos.colorado.edu
Fri Jun 23 10:37:13 MDT 2000

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, ljp wrote:
>
> > If so, perhaps thats why RD bailed. Since when do assault weapons have
> > anything to do with Linux?
>
> Hmmm ... you haven't been too deeply embedded in the Linux culture have
> you?  I take it you don't know about Eric Raymond
> <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/> and his "Geeks with Guns"
> <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/geeks-with-guns/index.html>.
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)

Hello.  This topic is bringing me out of lurker status for the first
time.  I've gotten a lot out of this list, and perhaps someday I'll
contribute on a technical topic.

I've been using Linux for about four years now as a scientist/programmer.
I'm not involved with any Linux development per se, but I do try to keep
up with what's going on the Linux world generally.  This is the *first*
time I've heard anyone making any sort of link between Linux and guns.
And frankly, I find it disturbing.  Perhaps among some core developers
there is a link.  I don't have a problem with other people's hobby
choices.  But as someone who advocates Linux to many different types of
people (my parents and wife e.g., who are not "gun nuts", to use ESR's
phrase), I would think it would be detrimental to the cause of free
software if such a link were promulgated in the popular media.  Guns are
just too polarizing a topic.

Additionally, it strikes me as a misrepresentation.  Linux is hugely
popular in Japan, for example, where guns are almost unattainable by the
public.  I don't agree that guns are inherently a part of "Linux culture".
Perhaps we need to distinguish between "Linux developer culture" and
"Linux user culture".  Even there, though, do "gun nuts" really make up a
*majority* of Linux developers?

Bruce

--
Bruce Raup
National Snow and Ice Data Center                     Phone:  303-492-8814
Boulder, CO  80309-0449                            Bruce.Raup at colorado.edu