[lug] Email behind ipchains firewall

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Sun Jun 25 13:18:39 MDT 2000

Hello, I've been having problems for a while when trying to send email from
behind my ipchains firewall. I'm using a windows 98 box with Outlook as the
email testing program. This box goes thru my linux ipchains firewall. After
doing some testing though, I've determined the firewall is not the cause of
the problems. I have been trying to sniff the packets as they go across the
machine with sniffit. Now what I've found out is that no matter how I
configure the firewall, once I put the internal eth0 interface into
promiscuous mode (w/ sniffit -i) all my email goes thru just fine. However,
once I leave promiscuous mode I get the following error from Outlook:

inactivity. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.dnvr.uswest.net', Server:
'pop.dnvr.uswest.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket
Error: 10054, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

On my own mail server which I did some testing with too, I get the following
error in conjunction w/ the previous Outlook error:

Jun 25 13:09:46 localhost postfix/smtpd[17954]: connect from
ns2.mydomain.com[63.228.67.66]
Jun 25 13:09:46 localhost postfix/smtpd[17954]: 8A4DC57C00:
client=ns2.mydomain.com[63.228.67.66]
Jun 25 13:09:46 localhost postfix/smtpd[17957]: timeout after DATA from
ns2.mydomain.com[63.228.67.66]
Jun 25 13:09:46 localhost postfix/smtpd[17957]: disconnect from
ns2.mydomain.com[63.228.67.66]
Jun 25 13:09:46 localhost postfix/cleanup[17958]: CF0CD57BFE:
message-id=<007801bfded9$1f538520$0201a8c0 at mydomain.com>

ns2 is the firewalled box I am sending the email thru. Any ideas what could be
going on?

Justin