[lug] StarOffice

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Mon Jun 26 09:17:38 MDT 2000

I have had StarOffice hang on me several times. I usually put it in its
own desktop and it really doesn't like the switching back and forth. I
use the bastardized GNOME/Enlightenment that RedHat ships...never had
this problem with KDE. I suspect it is the version of E that is shipped
with RedHat...Mandrake says he doesn't like that version...I should try
compiling from source.

Furthermore, I don't like the complete desktop functionality that
StarOffice tries to force on you. The ability it has to open Word and
Excel files makes it possible for me to stay away from the Windows box
at work but there are many things I don't much care for in StarOffice.
How about how long it takes to initially load....jeez.

I think I'm going to try some of the others like Applixware and
WordPerfect. I think it is Applix that has a java version available...I
like the idea of possible just putting this on a UNIX server and getting
other people to use it too.

--

----
Kyle Moore