[lug] StarOffice

metcalf at attglobal.net metcalf at attglobal.net
Mon Jun 26 10:20:27 MDT 2000

When you say that you don't like the "complete desktop functionality that
StarOffice tries to force on you" I gather you're referring to how the
various functions interact whether or not you wish them to.  I've run into
that on occasion.  My main use for StarOffice is simple spreadsheets for
various projects so I've not had any major problems.  I tried to use
StarBase but quickly ran afoul of its limitations so I deleted everything
and ignored that module.  I've skimmed through the 5.1 manual to get an idea
of its potential capabilities and read most of the 5.2 docs on www.sun.com
which haven't impressed me enough to download it.  If the new database
engine for StarBase turns out to be industrial strength I might take another
look at it.
    So far it hasn't hung on me but I'm not pushing it anywhere near its
limits (other than exceeding them with StarBase).
    Since I'm running it with Caldera's OpenLinux I haven't had the problems
you've encountered (I may yet run into problems, cross my fingers).