[lug] Industrial Strength DB (was: StarOffice)

metcalf at attglobal.net metcalf at attglobal.net
Tue Jun 27 16:07:06 MDT 2000

I'll try to answer your questions from my perspective.  I'm not a
programmer, just a user.  For years I did a lot of data entry at work using
unspecified programs on unspecified computers (i.e., IS wouldn't tell me
what was involved).  Call that "heavy-industrial strength".  At home I've
used various DOS programs but I'd like to find a "cottage-industry strength"
database program running on Linux, preferably one that will import dbf.
    I'm concerned with separately indexing ten different fields and I don't
want a program to find duplicate data between records, and cross-link the
records.  I've also run into database programs, such as PCFile, which claim
to handle huge databases and after about 8,000 records start counting down
how much you can enter (nowhere near enough to finish).
    The 100K that I mentioned wasn't a program limit, but a guess as to the
approximate number of records I'll end up with in the next couple of years.
    As for "notefields" I was referring to storing pertinent data that
didn't fit into the predefined fields but which would be called up when
referencing a particular record.
    As for changing a field when it thinks something should be there I've
seen this happen.  For an example I just made up try this:
            4 Mar 2000  and then the program assumes a data input error and
changes 3 to Mar and 4 to Apr.
    The above example is a case of non-linear data which some programs would
change in order to maintain linear order.
    We've also had some further input on databases.
    Can someone point me to a source of comparative reviews of Linux
databases, giving the strengths, weaknesses and limitations of the various
databases?  I'm even willing to pay money for a commercial database if
there's no free database that won't lead me into a trap.