[lug] serial

Hobbs: Nobuki Matsui nobuki at psych.colorado.edu
Wed Jun 28 13:46:08 MDT 2000

Hi all,
	I started working on communicating with our instrument(to
observe the clouds) through the com port.  The instrument has its own
small OSlike program in it.  Typing 't' shows all the available commands
and so forth.  It is like a Cisco DSL router, you get from the US West DSL
package.  We use a RH 6.2 pentium machine to communicate with the
instrument.
	I wrote 'S0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty -s 2400 -r ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0' on the /etc/inittab file.
	echo 't' > /dev/ttyS0 would put the command in the waiting and
actually nothing happens till control-c (kill).
	I did minicom /dev/ttyS0 with the mgetty line entry in the
inittab, and I kept seeing garbage.
	I wonder if anybody can kindly help us.
best,

						Nobuki Matsui