[lug] Xsession: Logon for <user> disabled!

Samartha qwerty at pobox.com
Wed Jun 28 21:25:23 MDT 2000

Hi,

I am stuck upgrading disk- and  consequently Linux.

Scenario:  SuSE 6.1 (Kernel 2.2.5), SCSI disk close to overflow, so I get a
bigger one.

The new disk (same brand, interface, just bigger) does not talk well to the
Linux and hangs in a timeout  loop - trying harder... timeout, trying
harder.... timeout.

Ok, so I install SuSE 6.4 (Kernel 2.2.14) and it likes the new  harddisk -
great!!

Now I tar over the user account data from the old disk, add users with the
same group- and
user id, cross my fingers .... and get a "Xsession:  Logon for <user>
disabled" X dialog box.

Even if I delete the user and re-add it again, it gives me this message!

When I turn off X ( init 2), log in through text login, do startx, it works.

So, either is it a permission problem of some kind for a X init script or
somewhere other than passwd, group and shadow the username is stored and
used by the X login sequence for authentication - but I don't know.

Shedding light on this is very appreciated - thanks

Samartha