[lug] Routing with Linux

Bonnell, Doug DBonnell at BreeceHill.com
Thu Jun 29 16:12:10 MDT 2000

Forwarding is needed, but I would think that ipchaining would be
nice to use also.

I don't have the exact syntax handy, but if net1 is on Linux eth0
and net 2 is on Linux eth1, then:

     ipchain FORWARD 192.13.5.6/40 eth1      (net1 forwarded to net2)
     ipchain FORWARD 207.16.8.9/37 eth0      (net2 forwarded to net1)

This saves telling all the machines where packets need to go. You'll
need routing at the individual machines on each net.

     route add -host finkel -gw rupert      (finkel on net2, rupert = net1
Linux IP)

     route add -host narn -gw turtle        (narn on net1, turtle = net2
Linux IP)

First example for a machine on net1 needing to get to finkel on net2.
Second is for a machine on net2 needing to get to narn on net1.

I think of this more as a bridge than a router since it links to subnets
together
rather than a single connection to a subnet.

Hope this helps,
Doug Bonnell