[lug] New Video Card

David dajo at frii.com
Mon Jul 3 08:22:49 MDT 2000

Just for the record...

   Humm...

   Unless you are playing games such as Unreal Tournament under Linux,
   a fancy 3D card isn't going to improve the visuals of your 2D X windowing.

It did improve text quality, which was what I was after; not a big
amount, but ever little helps when you look at text for hours on end.
Now I do not know just *what* helped - probably not the "fancy 3D..."
as you point out.  The 32mB video memory helps too, a little, with
desktop swapping.

   You might checkout the latest SuSE distro ( 2.4? ). They have always been
   a step ahead in the X server end of things. The latest distro also has
   XFree86 4.0 ( but installs 3.6 by default? ).

   First stop on the net should be xfree86.org to see if the chipset of the
   Stealth III is supported.

Thank you for this info.  I did not do it.  RedHat 6.2 has the card
listed.  In case anyone wants to know the spec is PCI S3 Savage4 Pro+
with 128 bit 2D, 3D and video, and 32mb SDRAM.

   Hope this helps,
   Doug Bonnell

dajo