[lug] XShmGetEventBase()

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jul 3 10:48:33 MDT 2000

rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 12:05:33AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> > I'm trying to find out the header which declares the libXext.so function
> > XShmGetEventBase, which I can't find via grep, and no man page seems to
> > exist. Can someone tell me what header this should be declared in? And
> > does anyone have a man page for this?
>
> Hmm, i couldn't find it either. From the functions name it
> should be in ${XINCLUDES}/extensions/XShm.h, but alas it isn't.
> What version of libXext are you using? I have header files for
> the current version as well as for the old libc5 versions installed.

I'm using X 4.0, and glibc 2.1.3 on this particular machine. I can find
the function symbols as defined within libXext.so.6, type "T",
indicating it is a regular, non-overloaded function, implemented within
the library file. I'm wondering if this is there only for some long-ago
backwards compatibility issue, since the software this is from has been
around several years. If the function was currently supported, I'd think
that one of the headers, such as XShm.h, would have a declaration in it.