[lug] Samba password question

Brian Jarrett BrianJ at StorageSoft.com
Thu Jul 6 09:36:17 MDT 2000

<quote>
>Does anyone know if it is possible in samba ( v 2.0.6) to
automatically authenticate users coming from NT against the Linux/Unix
users in passwd or NIS?

I got it working but so far I have to maintain a separate smbpasswd entry
for every user.  This somehow   does not feel right.

Digging thru the available documentation (man pages online) I am getting
kind of lost in the volume of information.

Any hints are appreciated,

Thanks,

Samartha
</quote>

Samartha,

I was just looking at some of this the other day.  There are some settings
in the template smb.conf file for this:

#NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
#NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#		the encrypted SMB passwords.  They allow the Unix password
#		to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password %n\n

This causes Samba to runn the passwd utility and uses chat to supply the
password every time it is asked for.
I've not used this capability yet, but this should point you in the right
direction.  I'll be working with it later myself.

Also, there is a lot of good information on the Samba site in the form of
FAQs.  You can find them at http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/ under the
"Other Documentation" column.

Brian Jarrett
celttechie at techie.com