[lug] Weird Masquerading Problem

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Jul 6 17:58:33 MDT 2000

I have this weird problem on a machine that I can't figure out.

For some reason, masquerading just stopped working. It was working fine,
then one day there was a crash, and then it didn't work any more.

I have done a pretty thorough security check so I am fairly confident the
box has not been hacked. I have checked current rules using IPCHAINS and
everything looks good. I also tried replacing the NIC on the theory that
maybe there was something strange in the NIC driver (EEPro100 which has been
notoriously bad lately).

The only thing I can think is that there is another box with the same IP. I
shut down the Linux box, and waited for a while, and didn't see anything
that looked like another box on the same IP address.  This one has me really
stumped. I would appreciate any ideas.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585