[lug] making so files

andrew at netdelivery.com andrew at netdelivery.com
Fri Jul 7 10:56:03 MDT 2000

Well, I've tried a few things with my libgd.so.1 problem, all without
solving it.  Basically SuSE doesn't provide the so file, so I can't
do anything with ldconfig to link it.  I downloaded the source for
the latest libgd (1.8.3) and compiled it, but it still only makes
the libgd.a file, not any so files.  The Makefile provided didn't
have any ready-made selection for making shared libraries, and
it was just a Makefile, not a cool ./configure script.

So, when I have the sources to a library, what magic do I need to do
to make an so type thing versus a .a type thing?

--
Andrew Diederich