[lug] Linux on notebooks

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jul 7 12:56:01 MDT 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 08:47:46AM -0600, Ken Weinert wrote:
>I might be in the market for a notebook and wondered if one of you kind
>souls might point me in the direction of a resource that would let me
>know which ones are compatible.

Laptops can vary quite a bit.  The biggest problem tends to be in the
APM, you may or may not be able to suspend.  Audio can also be an
issue.

Evelyn and I have got IBM ThinkPad 240s (ultra-small, 3 pound, Celeron
300, 64/192MB, 6GB) which (after a BIOS update) is working flawlessly.
If you get one though, break the door off the PCMCIA slot.  Kevin

Kevin has a Dell Inspiron 7-pound beast with 15" display and 1400x1000-ish
display.  Very nice, but it's quite huge.  He doesn't seem to have any
problems with it either.

In most cases, especially if you're willing to deal with the APM having
issues, just about any laptop out there will work with Linux.

Sean
--
 Fire at the celuloud factory.  No film at eleven.
                 -- _Kentucky_Fried_Movie_