[lug] Linux on notebooks

B O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Thu Jul 6 16:52:48 MDT 2000

Here's pretty much the definitive site on how to get Linux to run on a
laptop, listed by models. You might want to look at it to see how much hassle
it will be for a model you like.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Dell is now offering their 7000 Inspiron line with Red hat 6.2 preinstalled.
I have personally had good luck putting Red Hat on various Toshiba models.

The biggest thing that will give you problems is XWindows because of video
card compatibility; the second biggest will be the internal winmodem --- so
you'll pretty much plan on using a PCMCIA card for that..

B O'Fallon