[lug] Linux on notebooks

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jul 7 16:58:36 MDT 2000

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 04:52:48PM -0600, B O'Fallon wrote:
>The biggest thing that will give you problems is XWindows because of video
>card compatibility; the second biggest will be the internal winmodem --- so
>you'll pretty much plan on using a PCMCIA card for that..

The Lucent Winmodem LT will actually work (and work well based on my testing)
if you use the stock RedHat 6.1 kernel (2.2.12-something).  The ThinkPad
240 and Dell Inspiron both use the Lucent chipset.  If you upgrade your kernel
though, you're in trouble.  That really is a pretty good modem though,
unlike most of the other WinModems.

Apparently, Lucent is looking at open-sourcing the driver, but has some
legal issues with doing so.

Sean
--
 Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?