[lug] Linux on notebooks

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jul 7 17:52:52 MDT 2000

Thus spoke Sean Reifschneider
> The Lucent Winmodem LT will actually work (and work well based on my testing)
> if you use the stock RedHat 6.1 kernel (2.2.12-something).  The ThinkPad
> 240 and Dell Inspiron both use the Lucent chipset.  If you upgrade your kernel
> though, you're in trouble.  That really is a pretty good modem though,
> unlike most of the other WinModems.

For what it's worth - my IBM ThinkPad 1410 uses one of these Lucent
WinModems.  I had to download the module (which I found digging through the
Linux Laptop site that someone else pointed to and has a utexas url) but it
installs very easily and worked the first time.  The only thing that
doesn't work on that laptop now are the external controls for the CD player
which are supposed to allow using the CD when the system is turned off.
Not sure why that's the case - must have been something in the MS bootstrap
that had to be run to get it working, but I blew that away before ever
booting into Windows.

The audio is a little weird though.  The external speakers "play" feedback
but the internal (headset) connection works just fine.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |    I thought I wanted a career, turns out