[lug] Thanks, and more newbie requests

John Edwards harkerii at sprintmail.com
Sat Jul 8 14:59:42 MDT 2000

At 10:22 AM 7/8/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Realizing that this can be a matter of personal preference, are there any
>good GUI/KDE-based mail clients and/or offline news readers? I have to
>admit being spoiled by Eudora and Free Agent in Windows, but there must be
>something good out there for X.

         I actually found that the email client that comes with KDE is
fairly nice.  I don't know if it has all the features that you need, since
I don't use it much at all because I'm still learning and haven't made
fully the break from Win)
         Anyway, as far as a newreader, from my experience, you're out of
luck.  I have NOT found anything to equal the power and ease of use for
Agent, or, for that matter Free Agent (yes, folx, I actually went and paid
for it).  The best suggestion people seem to have for a newsreader is to
use Netscape's piece of crap (sorry all Netscape users, but that's my opinion).
         Anyway, there are a few, KDE's look's nice, but unfortunately, it
doesn't support (or didn't, as of 6 months ago) support password
authentication to log into you're news server, which prevent's me from
making use of it.  None that I've found do this at all.
         If you use Star Office, it has a built in new and mail
client.  Both look identical, but again, I haven't played around with them
much.

John Edwards