[lug] Thanks, and more newbie requests

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Sun Jul 9 00:17:35 MDT 2000

John Edwards <harkerii at sprintmail.com> writes:

> At 10:22 AM 7/8/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >Realizing that this can be a matter of personal preference, are there any
> >good GUI/KDE-based mail clients and/or offline news readers? I have to
> >admit being spoiled by Eudora and Free Agent in Windows, but there must be
> >something good out there for X.
>          Anyway, as far as a newreader, from my experience, you're out of
> luck.  I have NOT found anything to equal the power and ease of use for
> Agent, or, for that matter Free Agent (yes, folx, I actually went and paid
> for it).  The best suggestion people seem to have for a newsreader is to
> use Netscape's piece of crap (sorry all Netscape users, but that's my opinion).

I recommend Gnus, a news-reader for Emacs, for usenet news.  It isn't
the most *intuitive* usenet client, unless you're fairly used to the
Emacs way of doing things, but it's quite flexible.  In addition, Gnus
does email, and I've been using it as my email client about a year
now.

It has much documentation available, and various reference cards you
can print and stack on your other reference cards.  There is
unfortunately a bit of a learning curve.

I've read various people rant in favor of Gnus, but I haven't used
Agent so I won't make a comparison there.  I will say, though, that
Gnus is better than Netscape's usenet reader.  That's not saying much.
I suspect many usenet readers are better than Netscape 4.x

--
Chris Riddoch
socket at peakpeak.com