[lug] Securing email from M$ Exchange...

Andrew Diederich andrew at NETdelivery.com
Tue Jul 11 08:44:33 MDT 2000

> Are there any suggestions on what software I should use to
> retrieve my mail,
> sort it, and then send mail out through the Exchange server?
> My goal is to
> make it look like I don't have any email on the Exchange
> server and to have
> all of my email look like it's originating from there.
>
> Brian

You can use pretty much anything.  I've used both sendmail
and postfix as MTAs (to send email), as both sending the
email from the linux box, and using an exchange server
as a smarthost.

To get mail you can use most mail retrieval software --
mutt (pop/imap), fetchmail, and I'm sure there are
bunches of others (kmail, the gnome thingies, etc.).

You just have to be willing to store all of your mail on
your linux box.  There is no way to "hide" mail from the
exchange admin while it's on the server.

Now, of course for all of this to work your admins must
have left pop or imap enabled on the server, and it sounds
like you can use the exchange server as a smarthost.

My most common configuration is mutt and postfix, but
I've used fetchmail, elm, and sendmail some, too.

--
Andrew