[RE: [lug] Sending POP email thru firewall]

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Tue Jul 11 15:08:11 MDT 2000

That was poorly worded I guess. I am having troubles sending mail from behind
my ipchains firewall, I can recieve the email fine from POP mail servers. Now
that I think about it I need to check how my firewall handles port 25 and not
the POP stuff, hehe. The following is what I have for SMTP handling:

SMTP_SERVER="my.mailserver.com"

# SMTP client (25)
# ----------------
ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp  \
-s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
-d $SMTP_SERVER 25 -j ACCEPT

ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp ! -y \
-s $SMTP_SERVER 25 \
-d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

Plus my MASQ entry:
ipchains -A forward -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -s $LOCALNET_1 -j MASQ

Does that look correct?

Justin

"George Sexton" <gsexton at mhsoftware.com> wrote:
> There really is no such thing as "sending POP email". POP is a protocol for
> retrieving Email.
>
> SMTP (port 25) is used for sending Email.
>
> Is your problem really related to retrieving POP messages, or sending
Email?