[lug] Backup system

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Tue Jul 11 17:57:58 MDT 2000

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, KELLEY SCOTT T wrote:

> Anyone have any advice on a reliable and inexpensive backup system (tape
> drive perhaps)? I plan to do monthly or quarterly backups on a 30GB
> system but I'm not sure what to buy for the job.

	I will throw my two cents in for Ecrix's VXA-1 tape drive. Its DAT
(of sorts), as it uses an 8mm cartridge, and can store 12GB or 33GB native
on two different lenghts of tape. The price is quite reasonable, just
around $1k for the internal or external version. It comes in either single
ended SCSI-2 or LVD SCSI. We use one at work and I use one at home (both
with Linux :). It works fast and reliably, no complaints at all. Even
better, Ecrix is local (55th and Central Ave, Boulder), so equipment
replacement, when needed, is quite snappy. :) For more information, see
www.vxatape.com.
	As for backup software, I use some handspun scripts w/afio, so I
don't have much to say on that point.
	Hope this is of help. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |