[lug] SMTP mail thru firewall

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Wed Jul 12 10:05:54 MDT 2000

Well I tried changing my MASQ line to not include the '-i $INTERFACE' part and
I still couldn't get my smtp mail to go out. I can, however, see the mail msg
hitting my mail server but the maillog shows the connection timing out:

Jul 11 23:35:54 localhost postfix/smtpd[9013]: connect from
ns2.mydomain.com[63.228.xx.xx]
Jul 11 23:35:54 localhost postfix/smtpd[9013]: 50F5A57BFE:
client=ns2.mydomain.com[63.228.xx.xx]
Jul 11 23:40:59 localhost postfix/smtpd[9013]: timeout after DATA from
ns2.mydomain.com[63.228.xx.xx]
Jul 11 23:40:59 localhost postfix/smtpd[9013]: disconnect from
ns2.mydomain.com[63.228.xx.xx]

ns2 being the machine with the firewall and the clients behind it. This error
happened whether or not I included the -i $INTERFACE part of my the MASQ
entry. One interesting thing is that when the internal interface on teh
firewall box is in promiscuous mode, the mail shoots right thru. Not sure what
that means exactly...any other thoughts?

Justin