[lug] SMTP mail thru firewall

Bonnell, Doug DBonnell at BreeceHill.com
Wed Jul 12 10:58:06 MDT 2000

I don't know if my experience is applicable, but I started getting delays
when
sending out Email after installing a router/firewall. My ISP uses FreeBSD
with
an smtp server that attempts authentication on port 113.

This communications on port 113 doesn't occur, to the server sits in a
timeout
loop for about 30 seconds before deciding to accept the mail.

Could it be that your smtp server is attempt the authentication via port 113
and
then rejecting the connection when the timeout occurs?

Hope this helps...

Doug Bonnell
Software Engineer
BreeceHill Technologies Inc.