[lug] internet connection..

Andrew Reberry Andrew.Reberry at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 12 18:06:43 MDT 2000

I have a RH 6.2 machine connected to a LAN and am trying to get it to connect to the Internet.  All machines on the LAN have access to the Internet through the gateway machine which is at the address of 192.168.2.1.  (the gateway is not my RedHat computer!)

I have IP forwarding set up just fine on the Internet server, and know this because I can set a Windows machine up at the address 192.168.2.29 (where my RedHat machine is), and connect to the Internet just fine.  I know it is a problem in my RedHat machine, but what?

I have specified 192.168.2.1 as the default gateway in linuxconf.  I have made sure the resolv.conf and host.conf is set up as well.

However, I can't even ping any machine on the Internet.  I can ping / telnet and do all I need to within the LAN, but for some reason I don't believe I have set the default gateway correctly.

When I try to ping a machine on the Internet, I get:  "connect: network is unreachable"

Any suggestions / help is appreciated!

Andrew