[lug] Re: Linux Hardware Was: Linux on HP

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Jul 14 00:07:34 MDT 2000

Change of topic...

Why is it that many companies seem to be unwilling to grasp the concept
of running free software on expensive systems?  I run into this
mentality at work also, and I'm still trying to figure it out.

They'll spend a fortune on the latest and greatest from Dell or Compaq
on NT servers, but they're constantly cutting corners on our Linux
systems.  The original spec for some of our systems was the very nice
2RU rack-mount system from Penguin Computing.

Somewhere in the process, I ended up with little cheap Celeron 1RU
systems from a no-name shop.

Now I'm all for saving money, but when production systems are involved,
why the constant drive to save money on the Linux systems?  Does anyone
else run into this sentiment at work?  Is it to pay for the Compaq's?

Heh... :)